Sunday, November 02, 2008

Spooktacular Halloween!



Friday, October 31st was a rainy Halloween. The candy and the kids seemed to be unhindered however….by kids I mean me! It my first time Trick or Treating since I was 10 years old and I all for it! Paul (a Mummy Ninja), Hillary (a contemporary Cheshire cat), Melissa (a contemporary white rabbit), Brian (a pumpkin head man) and I (little Bo Peep) spent the night roaming the streets.



We started locally with our next door neighbours and worked our way to McDonald Avenue a few blocks away. Melissa and I were out solo for a while until the others caught up. Paul labeled me the ‘trick or treating machine’, something I feel no shame over! We ran into our friend Evan and convinced him to come along for the ride. He was cycling and holding my photography tripod so together Evan and I decided he was he a Tour de France offical photographer.


McDonald Avenue is nortorious for its Halloween displays put on by the big mansions. The street was well decorated, one had a car theme...skeletons driving a car on their lawn and a million carved pumpkins on the porch. Another had a pirate treasure display. The street was swarming with people...it was slightly ridiculous. You had to line up to get to the door for candy.



As it approached 10pm, the Trick or Treating died down and we headed home. We had gone all the way to the end of McDonald and so by the time we arrived home, everyone was buggered. Sore feet, sore backs…Trick or Treating is hard work! I had had grand plans for the evening: after Trick or Treating I had intended to take some photos with my Dad of Halloween displays and go to one or more parties. Instead, we all sprawled out on the couch exhausted and ended up making some great vegetarian pasta for dinner at 11pm to combat the skipping of dinner and high level of sugar we had ingested.



This Halloween brought up memories last year. Leading up to Halloween I was in Quebec City Canada staying with Jeanna. We attended a Halloween bday party for her friend Carin and she made a cake shaped like a bat. I had my cat hat and Jeanna was dressed in a little kids pumpkin costume. A few days befre Halloween I bused it to NY to staying with my Alaskan friend Tanner in the dorms at FIT. On Halloween we hit the streets to see the Halloween Parade with his ‘bestest and closest’ friends at the time....in the fickle world of fashion he no longer knows 'those people'.


It Saturday evening now and still the rain falls. The bin is full of candy wrappers and my uncarved pumpkin adorns the mantle.

No comments: